Operational November 15th, 2021
NGS Sequencing subsidy guidelines:
STARSseq applications will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the fiscal year.
In an effort to harmonize costs across all Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) services offered by internal CCR Cores (the CCR Sequencing Facility, the Single Cell Analysis Facility, and the CCR Genomics Core), new guidelines will go into effect on October 1, 2021. For single-cell projects in SCAF and SF, and spatial transcriptomics projects through CGC and SCAF, these limits only apply to the sequencing costs, not the library capture costs, which will be subsidized as in the past.
The following subsidy guidelines will be applied to the combined cost of NGS in the three CCR Cores. The sequencing platforms eligible for this subsidy include, Illumina, PacBio, and Oxford Nanopore. Please inquire with OSTR if you have questions about eligibility for other platforms:
- Subsidies for NGS will be provided to PIs who exceed $15,000 in cumulative sequencing costs during the fiscal year.
- After the initial $15,000 threshold has been reached, cumulative sequencing costs will be subsidized at 50% up to a total of $15,000 subsidy/year/PI.
- As in the past, larger, one-time sequencing projects may be submitted as separate STARS requests by PIs who have reached their subsidy limit.
- As in the past, only project-based consumables will be charged to PIs for all NGS project (all labor charges for sequencing and single-cell services will continue to be centrally funded by OD CCR).
Process for applying for NGS subsidy (from here on, STARSseq requests):
- PIs are primarily responsible for tracking of cumulative FY expenses for NGS through the SF, SCAF, and CGC; eligibility for subsidies will be verified upon receipt of requests.
- Once you have exceeded $15,000 in total expenses, visit the STARS system at the OSTR website: https://ostr.ccr.cancer.gov/stars/. The form available on the STARS system will have a radio button to select STARSseq funding. This is distinct from the regular STARS request mechanism.
- Select the Core(s) for your planned project(s) from the Service Core drop-down menu. PIs are encouraged to combine multiple service requests in one STARSseq application.
- Include documentation of NGS charges by entering NAS requests, invoice numbers, etc., reflecting PI costs in the “Proof of Services” section.
STARSseq should be used when the cumulative annual cost from either single or multiple NGS projects in a PI lab has reached $15,000 and additional NGS services are planned in the fiscal year. Proposals will only undergo technical review.
STARS should be used when an individual project (e.g., a large single cell RNAseq or whole exome sequencing study etc.) will have exceptional costs, including but not limited to NGS costs, and the PI would like to request >$10,000 in supplemental funding. STARS requests require both scientific and budgetary justification, will undergo full review with regards to scientific significance and impact, and should be proposed in the context of an ongoing project rather than a new project.
As long as the STARSseq subsidy rules are met (prior expenditure >$15,000; annual total subsidy <$15,000), pre-approval of STARSseq is not required for the PIs to proceed with their projects.
As with all STARS subsidies, PIs incur NGS charges and will receive reimbursement for the STARSseq subsidy amount from the OD CCR.